Use this helpful checklist as a reminder of the things you need to do before you move.
Book the movers. You can choose to have the movers pack everything or just the breakables, or you can pack yourself. It's a good idea to obtain estimates from several movers.
IF YOU OWN YOUR PRESENT HOME
- Arrange to have your gas and electric meters read on the day you leave and forward the bill to your new address
- Have the oil tank read before your sale closes
- If your water heater is rented, arrange for the transfer of the rental agreements to the purchaser
- Disconnect your telephone, cable T.V. and water softener
IF YOU RENT YOUR PRESENT HOME
- Give necessary written notice to your landlord and make arrangements for the return of any monies you have on deposit.
AT YOUR "NEW" HOME Make arrangements for the gas and electric utilities, water softener, telephone and cable TV to be hooked up.
- Get "Change of Address" cards from the post office and send out well before moving day.
- Have the post office forward your mail to your new address.
- Cancel any contracted services and pre-authorized cheques.
- Inform gardening, dry cleaning, garbage pick-up, newspapers, magazines, diaper and other home services. Arrange for service at your new home.
- Obtain a letter from your current branch to help establish new accounts. Transfer trust or bank accounts and securities.
- Cancel or transfer social, athletic, civic, religious or business affiliations and memberships.
- Arrange for transfer of medical, dental, prescription and optical records.
- Change the address on your driver's license(s) effective the day of the move.
- Notify CCRA of your new address.
- Arrange for home owner’s insurance.
- Contact local school boards.
- Collect all items out for cleaning, repair or storage e.g. fur coats, dry cleaning.
- Make special arrangements for the moving of perishables, such as plants.
- Make special arrangements for the moving of your pets.
- Dispose safely of all flammable liquids as it is illegal for movers to carry them.